RDA Darling Downs and South West Region
Resident workers - Industry
Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|RDA Darling Downs and South West Region - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||13,382||11.5||2.8||13,343||11.0||2.6||+39|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||1,601||1.4||1.1||1,445||1.2||1.1||+156|
|Accommodation and Food Services||7,020||6.0||7.3||6,818||5.6||6.5||+202|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||5,084||4.4||5.1||5,570||4.6||4.9||-486|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||728||0.6||1.2||917||0.8||1.2||-189|
|Financial and Insurance Services||2,382||2.0||2.5||2,521||2.1||2.5||-139|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,507||1.3||2.0||1,337||1.1||1.7||+170|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||4,484||3.8||6.3||4,336||3.6||6.1||+148|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,682||2.3||3.5||2,240||1.9||3.0||+442|
|Public Administration and Safety||7,444||6.4||6.6||7,383||6.1||6.3||+61|
|Education and Training||11,426||9.8||9.0||10,256||8.5||7.4||+1,170|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||14,897||12.8||13.0||13,817||11.4||11.2||+1,080|
|Arts and Recreation Services||949||0.8||1.6||854||0.7||1.3||+95|
|Industry not classified||4,571||3.9||4.3||2,682||2.2||2.2||+1,889|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (14,897 people or 12.8%)
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (13,382 people or 11.5%)
- Education and Training (11,426 people or 9.8%)
In combination these three industries employed 39,705 people in total or 34.1% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Queensland employed 13.0% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 2.8% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing and 9.0% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (11.5% compared to 2.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (3.8% compared to 6.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (6.0% compared to 7.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Administrative and Support Services (2.3% compared to 3.5%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-2,068 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+1,889 resident workforce)
- Retail Trade (-1,401 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+1,170 resident workforce)