Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Bulloo Shire residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Bulloo Shire, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Bulloo Shire are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Bulloo Shire - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||66||30.0||2.8||99||42.3||2.6||-33|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||0||0||1.1||0||0||1.1||--|
|Accommodation and Food Services||16||7.3||7.3||7||3.0||6.5||+9|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||7||3.2||5.1||8||3.4||4.9||-1|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||0||0||1.2||0||0||1.2||--|
|Financial and Insurance Services||0||0||2.5||0||0||2.5||--|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||0||0||2.0||0||0||1.7||--|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||0||0||6.3||0||0||6.1||--|
|Administrative and Support Services||0||0||3.5||10||4.3||3.0||-10|
|Public Administration and Safety||55||25.0||6.6||46||19.7||6.3||+9|
|Education and Training||9||4.1||9.0||6||2.6||7.4||+3|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||0||0||13.0||6||2.6||11.2||-6|
|Arts and Recreation Services||0||0||1.6||0||0||1.3||--|
|Industry not classified||14||6.4||4.3||5||2.1||2.2||+9|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the Bulloo Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (66 people or 30.0%)
- Public Administration and Safety (55 people or 25.0%)
- Accommodation and Food Services (16 people or 7.3%)
In combination these three industries employed 137 people in total or 62.3% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Queensland employed 2.8% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; 6.6% in Public Administration and Safety and 7.3% in Accommodation and Food Services.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the Bulloo Shire and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (30.0% compared to 2.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (25.0% compared to 6.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Retail Trade (4.1% compared to 9.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Education and Training (4.1% compared to 9.0%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Bulloo Shire were for those employed in:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (-33 resident workforce)
- Administrative and Support Services (-10 resident workforce)
- Accommodation and Food Services (+9 resident workforce)
- Public Administration and Safety (+9 resident workforce)