Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing employs more of the Maranoa Regional Council area's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Maranoa Regional Council area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Maranoa Regional Council area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Maranoa Regional Council area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Maranoa Regional Council area - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,242||19.6||2.8||1,279||18.5||2.6||-37|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||149||2.3||1.1||114||1.7||1.1||+35|
|Accommodation and Food Services||322||5.1||7.3||365||5.3||6.5||-43|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||293||4.6||5.1||347||5.0||4.9||-54|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||30||0.5||1.2||37||0.5||1.2||-7|
|Financial and Insurance Services||67||1.1||2.5||93||1.3||2.5||-26|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||89||1.4||2.0||86||1.2||1.7||+3|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||147||2.3||6.3||159||2.3||6.1||-12|
|Administrative and Support Services||115||1.8||3.5||81||1.2||3.0||+34|
|Public Administration and Safety||564||8.9||6.6||498||7.2||6.3||+66|
|Education and Training||465||7.3||9.0||402||5.8||7.4||+63|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||691||10.9||13.0||701||10.2||11.2||-10|
|Arts and Recreation Services||43||0.7||1.6||29||0.4||1.3||+14|
|Industry not classified||316||5.0||4.3||200||2.9||2.2||+116|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the Maranoa Regional Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (1,242 people or 19.6%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (691 people or 10.9%)
- Public Administration and Safety (564 people or 8.9%)
In combination these three industries employed 2,497 people in total or 39.3% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Queensland employed 2.8% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; 13.0% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 6.6% in Public Administration and Safety.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the Maranoa Regional Council area and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (19.6% compared to 2.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (2.3% compared to 6.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (3.4% compared to 6.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Retail Trade (7.6% compared to 9.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Maranoa Regional Council area were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-131 resident workforce)
- Mining (-130 resident workforce)
- Retail Trade (-123 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+116 resident workforce)