Resident workers - Industry
Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing employs more of Quilpie Shire’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Quilpie Shire residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Quilpie Shire, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Quilpie Shire are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Regional QLD%||Number||%||Regional QLD%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||126||28.1||4.7||166||30.9||4.6||-40||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||7||1.6||1.1||4||0.7||1.2||+3||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||26||5.8||8.2||40||7.4||7.9||-14||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||27||6.0||4.5||53||9.9||4.8||-26||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||0||0.0||1.0||0||0.0||1.1||0||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||5||1.1||1.9||5||0.9||2.0||0||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||4||0.9||2.0||0||0.0||1.9||+4||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||4||0.9||4.6||0||0.0||4.7||+4||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||4||0.9||3.5||7||1.3||3.1||-3||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||64||14.3||6.0||72||13.4||6.0||-8||39000||P|
|Education and Training||40||8.9||8.8||33||6.1||7.7||+7||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||37||8.3||12.8||25||4.6||11.4||+12||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||4||0.9||1.6||0||0.0||1.5||+4||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||13||2.9||4.3||22||4.1||2.5||-9||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Quilpie Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (126 people or 28.1%)
- Public Administration and Safety (64 people or 14.3%)
- Education and Training (40 people or 8.9%)
In combination these three industries employed 230 people in total or 51.3% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Regional QLD employed 4.7% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; 6.0% in Public Administration and Safety; and 8.8% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Quilpie Shire and Regional QLD were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (28.1% compared to 4.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (14.3% compared to 6.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (8.3% compared to 12.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (0.9% compared to 4.6%)
There were no major changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Quilpie Shire.