Toowoomba Regional Council area
Resident workers - Industry
Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of Toowoomba Regional Council area’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Toowoomba Regional Council area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Toowoomba Regional Council area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Toowoomba Regional Council area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Toowoomba Regional Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Regional QLD%||Number||%||Regional QLD%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||4,535||6.4||4.7||4,293||6.2||4.6||+242||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||836||1.2||1.1||781||1.1||1.2||+55||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||4,230||5.9||8.2||3,921||5.7||7.9||+309||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||3,000||4.2||4.5||3,241||4.7||4.8||-241||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||497||0.7||1.0||645||0.9||1.1||-148||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||1,878||2.6||1.9||1,936||2.8||2.0||-58||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,033||1.5||2.0||872||1.3||1.9||+161||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||3,170||4.5||4.6||3,001||4.4||4.7||+169||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,733||2.4||3.5||1,540||2.2||3.1||+193||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||4,738||6.7||6.0||4,626||6.7||6.0||+112||39000||P|
|Education and Training||7,806||11.0||8.8||6,817||9.9||7.7||+989||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||10,500||14.7||12.8||9,365||13.6||11.4||+1,135||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||668||0.9||1.6||613||0.9||1.5||+55||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||2,597||3.6||4.3||1,361||2.0||2.5||+1,236||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Toowoomba Regional Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (10,500 people or 14.7%)
- Education and Training (7,806 people or 11.0%)
- Retail Trade (6,756 people or 9.5%)
In combination these three industries employed 25,062 people in total or 35.2% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Regional QLD employed 12.8% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 8.8% in Education and Training; and 10.3% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Toowoomba Regional Council area and Regional QLD were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Education and Training (11.0% compared to 8.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (14.7% compared to 12.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (5.9% compared to 8.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Mining (1.8% compared to 3.5%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Toowoomba Regional Council area were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-1,578 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+1,236 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,135 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+989 resident workforce)