Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the Paroo Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
- Excel full
- Word full
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||73||10.2||14.3||76||9.0||14.9||-3|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||68||9.5||11.3||88||10.4||10.0||-20|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||68||9.5||13.6||63||7.5||14.7||+5|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||38||5.3||6.9||78||9.2||7.3||-40|
|Inadequately described or not stated||17||2.4||1.6||22||2.6||1.8||-5|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the Paroo Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Managers (245 people or 34.2%)
- Labourers (91 people or 12.7%)
- Professionals (82 people or 11.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 418 people in total or 58.4% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Queensland employed 12.1% in Managers; 10.5% in Labourers and 19.8% in Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the Paroo Shire and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (34.2% compared to 12.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (11.5% compared to 19.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Sales Workers (4.7% compared to 9.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (9.5% compared to 13.6%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the Paroo Shire decreased by 129 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Paroo Shire were those employed as:
- Labourers (-47 persons)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-40 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (-20 persons)
- Managers (-12 persons)