RDA Darling Downs and South West Region
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (Construction) Technicians and Trades Workers in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|RDA Darling Downs and South West Region||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,229||44.6||47.2||4,081||44.5||47.0||+148|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||22||0.2||0.2||8||0.1||0.2||+14|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||998||10.5||10.5||960||10.5||11.4||+38|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,315||13.9||8.6||1,379||15.0||9.7||-64|
|Inadequately described or not stated||73||0.8||0.9||79||0.9||0.9||-6|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (4,229 people or 44.6%)
- Labourers (1,444 people or 15.2%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (1,315 people or 13.9%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 6,988 people in total or 73.7% of the resident workers (Construction).
In comparison, Queensland employed 47.2% in Technicians and Trades Workers; 16.0% in Labourers and 8.6% in Machinery Operators And Drivers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (Construction) of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Construction) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (13.9% compared to 8.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (44.6% compared to 47.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) employed as Professionals (2.6% compared to 3.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) employed as Labourers (15.2% compared to 16.0%)
The number of resident workers (Construction) in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region increased by 317 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region were those employed as:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+148 persons)
- Managers (+78 persons)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-64 persons)
- Labourers (+56 persons)