RDA Darling Downs and South West Region
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (Wholesale Trade) Sales Workers in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|RDA Darling Downs and South West Region||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||390||12.0||10.0||485||12.2||9.6||-95|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||--||0||0.5||7||0.2||0.3||--|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||486||14.9||16.8||560||14.1||17.6||-74|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||446||13.7||15.5||574||14.5||15.4||-128|
|Inadequately described or not stated||18||0.6||0.9||46||1.2||1.2||-28|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Sales Workers (769 people or 23.6%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (486 people or 14.9%)
- Labourers (461 people or 14.2%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 1,716 people in total or 52.7% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade).
In comparison, Queensland employed 19.2% in Sales Workers; 16.8% in Clerical and Administrative Workers and 7.3% in Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) employed as Labourers (14.2% compared to 7.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) employed as Managers (13.9% compared to 19.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) employed as Sales Workers (23.6% compared to 19.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) employed as Professionals (7.1% compared to 10.9%)
The number of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region decreased by 718 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region were those employed as:
- Labourers (-147 persons)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-128 persons)
- Sales Workers (-123 persons)
- Managers (-114 persons)