RDA Darling Downs and South West Region
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (Retail Trade) Sales Workers in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|RDA Darling Downs and South West Region||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||946||8.5||6.2||1,067||8.5||6.5||-121|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||87||0.8||0.9||114||0.9||0.9||-27|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||667||6.0||6.0||916||7.3||7.0||-249|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||410||3.7||3.8||536||4.3||3.7||-126|
|Inadequately described or not stated||48||0.4||0.5||79||0.6||0.7||-31|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Sales Workers (5,973 people or 53.7%)
- Managers (1,643 people or 14.8%)
- Labourers (1,085 people or 9.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 8,701 people in total or 78.3% of the resident workers (Retail Trade).
In comparison, Queensland employed 54.8% in Sales Workers; 15.3% in Managers and 8.7% in Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (Retail Trade) of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (8.5% compared to 6.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Professionals (2.3% compared to 3.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Labourers (9.8% compared to 8.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Sales Workers (53.7% compared to 54.8%)
The number of resident workers (Retail Trade) in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region decreased by 1,399 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region were those employed as:
- Sales Workers (-390 persons)
- Managers (-388 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-249 persons)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-126 persons)