RDA Darling Downs and South West Region
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers professionals in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of RDA Darling Downs and South West Region's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|RDA Darling Downs and South West Region||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||17,013||14.6||14.3||16,932||14.6||14.9||+81||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||12,113||10.4||11.3||10,764||9.3||10.0||+1,349||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||14,500||12.4||13.6||14,757||12.8||14.7||-257||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||9,008||7.7||6.9||9,687||8.4||7.3||-679||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,643||1.4||1.6||1,875||1.6||1.8||-232||33000||P|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in RDA Darling Downs and South West Region in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (18,688 people or 16.0%)
- Managers (17,755 people or 15.2%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (17,013 people or 14.6%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 53,456 people in total or 45.9% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Queensland employed 19.8% in Professionals; 12.1% in Managers; and 14.3% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Managers (15.2% compared to 12.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Labourers (13.5% compared to 10.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (16.0% compared to 19.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (12.4% compared to 13.6%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in RDA Darling Downs and South West Region increased by 865 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region were for those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,349 people)
- Professionals (+1,271 people)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-679 people)
- Managers (-609 people)