RDA Darling Downs and South West Region
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more male resident workers technicians and trades workers in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of RDA Darling Downs and South West Region's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|RDA Darling Downs and South West Region - Males||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||14,394||23.4||23.4||14,368||23.1||24.2||+26||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||2,967||4.8||6.4||2,591||4.2||5.6||+376||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||2,603||4.2||5.7||2,660||4.3||5.8||-57||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||8,328||13.5||12.0||9,000||14.5||12.5||-672||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,032||1.7||1.9||1,127||1.8||2.0||-95||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the male resident workers in RDA Darling Downs and South West Region in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (14,394 people or 23.4%)
- Managers (11,467 people or 18.7%)
- Labourers (9,891 people or 16.1%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 35,752 people in total or 58.1% of the male resident workers .
In comparison, Queensland employed 23.4% in Technicians and Trades Workers; 14.4% in Managers; and 12.9% in Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the male resident workers of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of male resident workers employed as Managers (18.7% compared to 14.4%)
- A larger percentage of male resident workers employed as Labourers (16.1% compared to 12.9%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers employed as Professionals (11.4% compared to 16.3%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (4.8% compared to 6.4%)
The number of people in the male resident workers ] in RDA Darling Downs and South West Region decreased by 786 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the male resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region were for those employed as:
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-672 males)
- Managers (-627 males)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+376 males)
- Sales Workers (+172 males)