Southern Downs Regional Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (All industries) Labourers in the Southern Downs Regional Council area than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the Southern Downs Regional Council area's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Southern Downs Regional Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||1,869||13.3||14.3||1,892||13.2||14.9||-23|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,499||10.6||11.3||1,404||9.8||10.0||+95|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||1,513||10.7||13.6||1,563||10.9||14.7||-50|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,178||8.4||6.9||1,317||9.2||7.3||-139|
|Inadequately described or not stated||237||1.7||1.6||208||1.5||1.8||+29|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the Southern Downs Regional Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Labourers (2,516 people or 17.9%)
- Managers (2,247 people or 15.9%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (1,869 people or 13.3%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 6,632 people in total or 47.1% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Queensland employed 10.5% in Labourers; 12.1% in Managers and 14.3% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the Southern Downs Regional Council area and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (12.2% compared to 19.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (17.9% compared to 10.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (15.9% compared to 12.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (10.7% compared to 13.6%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the Southern Downs Regional Council area decreased by 240 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Southern Downs Regional Council area were those employed as:
- Managers (-146 persons)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-139 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+95 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-50 persons)