Southern Downs Regional Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers labourers in Southern Downs Regional Council area than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of RDA Darling Downs and South West Region's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Southern Downs Regional Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Public Administration and Safety%||Number||%||Public Administration and Safety%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||1,869||13.3||9.6||1,892||13.2||10.3||-23||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,499||10.6||18.7||1,404||9.8||17.0||+95||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||1,513||10.7||26.9||1,563||10.9||25.1||-50||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,178||8.4||8.7||1,317||9.2||9.7||-139||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||237||1.7||0.9||208||1.5||1.3||+29||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Southern Downs Regional Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Labourers (2,516 people or 17.9%)
- Managers (2,247 people or 15.9%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (1,869 people or 13.3%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 6,632 people in total or 47.1% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Public Administration and Safety employed 12.1% in Labourers; 9.5% in Managers; and 9.6% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of Southern Downs Regional Council area and Public Administration and Safety were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Sales Workers (9.3% compared to 0.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Managers (15.9% compared to 9.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (10.7% compared to 26.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (10.6% compared to 18.7%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in Southern Downs Regional Council area decreased by 240 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Southern Downs Regional Council area were for those employed as:
- Managers (-146 people)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-139 people)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+95 people)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-50 people)