Toowoomba Regional Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (All industries) Professionals in the Toowoomba Regional Council area than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the Toowoomba Regional Council area's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Toowoomba Regional Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||10,757||15.1||14.3||10,575||15.4||14.9||+182|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||7,918||11.1||11.3||6,809||9.9||10.0||+1,109|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||9,501||13.3||13.6||9,545||13.9||14.7||-44|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||4,888||6.9||6.9||4,898||7.1||7.3||-10|
|Inadequately described or not stated||911||1.3||1.6||1,086||1.6||1.8||-175|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the Toowoomba Regional Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (13,271 people or 18.6%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (10,757 people or 15.1%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (9,501 people or 13.3%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 33,529 people in total or 47.1% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Queensland employed 19.8% in Professionals; 14.3% in Technicians and Trades Workers and 13.6% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the Toowoomba Regional Council area and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (12.2% compared to 10.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (18.6% compared to 19.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (15.1% compared to 14.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Sales Workers (9.0% compared to 9.7%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the Toowoomba Regional Council area increased by 2,371 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Toowoomba Regional Council area were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,109 persons)
- Professionals (+1,088 persons)
- Managers (+224 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+182 persons)