Western Downs Regional Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers managers in Western Downs Regional Council area than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of RDA Darling Downs and South West Region's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Western Downs Regional Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||2,320||16.1||14.3||2,193||15.1||14.9||+127||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,184||8.2||11.3||1,094||7.5||10.0||+90||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||1,618||11.2||13.6||1,668||11.5||14.7||-50||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,461||10.1||6.9||1,612||11.1||7.3||-151||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||228||1.6||1.6||241||1.7||1.8||-13||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Western Downs Regional Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Managers (2,814 people or 19.5%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (2,320 people or 16.1%)
- Labourers (1,965 people or 13.6%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 7,099 people in total or 49.2% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Queensland employed 12.1% in Managers; 14.3% in Technicians and Trades Workers; and 10.5% in Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of Western Downs Regional Council area and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Managers (19.5% compared to 12.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (10.1% compared to 6.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (11.5% compared to 19.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (8.2% compared to 11.3%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in Western Downs Regional Council area decreased by 116 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Western Downs Regional Council area were for those employed as:
- Managers (-260 people)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-151 people)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+127 people)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+90 people)