Resident workers - Qualifications
27.2% of the resident workers (Retail Trade) in Balonne Shire have qualifications, compared to 41.0% for Queensland.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for Balonne Shire's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
Qualification should be looked at in conjunction with Income, Occupation and Field of qualification for a clearer picture of the knowledge and skill level of RDA Darling Downs and South West Region's local resident workers.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||8||4.2||11.1||8||3.8||8.3||0||25001|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||12||6.3||7.9||12||5.8||6.0||0||25002|
|Certificate I and II Level||7||3.7||2.3||4||1.9||2.7||+3||25005|
|Certificate III & IV Level||21||11.0||17.7||42||20.2||14.9||-21||25006|
|Certificate Level, nfd||4||2.1||2.0||0||0.0||1.7||+4||25007|
|Inadequately described or not stated||10||5.2||2.3||11||5.3||3.6||-1||25009|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers (Retail Trade) in Balonne Shire in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion of people holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion of people with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 27.2% of the resident workers (Retail Trade) held educational qualifications, and 67.5% had no qualifications, compared with 41.0% and 56.7% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers (Retail Trade) of Balonne Shire and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) with No qualifications (67.5% compared to 56.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) with Bachelor or Higher degrees (4.2% compared to 11.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) with Certificate III & IV Levels (11.0% compared to 17.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) with Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (6.3% compared to 7.9%)
There were no major changes in the qualifications held by the resident workers (Retail Trade) in Balonne Shire between 2011 and 2016.