Resident workers - Method of travel to work - All industries
Within the Bulloo Shire, there is a lower proportion of resident All industries workers using public transport to get to work than the Queensland workforce.
Maximising access to employment is a key objective in any economic development strategy. Understanding the modes of transport the Bulloo Shire's local resident workers use (either within or outside the local area), informs decision-makers about the effectiveness of transport modes, routes and availability of local public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work;
- The number of motor vehicles available within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with resident place of work for a clearer picture of where working residents are employed.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Resident workers method of travel to work|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|Car, as driver||83||37.2||64.1||65||27.7||61.2||+18|
|Car, as passenger||8||3.6||5.3||11||4.7||6.1||-3|
|Other - multiple methods||12||5.4||1.5||23||9.8||1.4||-11|
|Worked at home||37||16.6||5.3||37||15.7||4.9||--|
|Did not go to work||12||5.4||9.7||13||5.5||10.2||-1|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
In 2016, there were 0 resident workers who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in the Bulloo Shire, compared with 102 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work of the resident workers in the Bulloo Shire shows that 0% used public transport, while 45.7% used a private vehicle, compared with 7.0% and 71.2% respectively in Queensland.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the resident workers in the Bulloo Shire and the Queensland workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers who travelled by car, as driver (37.2% compared to 64.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers who walked only (23.3% compared to 3.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers who worked at home (16.6% compared to 5.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers who did not go to work (5.4% compared to 9.7%)
The largest changes in the method of travel to work of the resident workers in the Bulloo Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Walked only (-23 resident workers)
- Car, as driver (+18 resident workers)
- Other - multiple methods (-11 resident workers)
- Truck (+3 resident workers)