RDA Darling Downs and South West Region
Local workers - Field of qualification - Public Administration and Safety
Within the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region, there are more Public Administration and Safety with Management and Commerce qualifications than any other field of qualification.
Field of Qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to the current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the workforce;
- The type of qualification required to enter an industry;
- The availability of jobs related to fields of qualification in RDA Darling Downs and South West Region;
- The types of occupations which are available in an area or industry.
The fields of qualification held by local workers in a particular industry are likely to show the type of skills required in that industry. Large numbers of a particular field of qualification in an industry may indicate that it is a pre-requisite for that industry. The presence of fields of qualification outside the main range of qualifications used in that industry may indicate that the industry values employees of a broad educational background, or that people haven't been able to find employment in their chosen field.
Field of Qualification information should be looked at in conjunction with Level of qualification and Occupation data for a clearer picture of the skills available for the local workers in RDA Darling Downs and South West Region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. To provide this detail, RDA Darling Downs and South West Region in 2011 had to be constructed from a best fit of Work Destination Zones (DZNs). While it may not be an exact match to the LGA or region boundary, it is considered close enough to allow some comparison. Users should treat this time series data with caution, however, and not compare directly with 2011 data from any other source.
|Local workers field of qualification - Summary|
|RDA Darling Downs and South West Region - Public Administration and Safety||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland %||Number||%||Queensland %||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||164||2.2||2.4||30000||175||2.4||P||2.3||-11|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||1,073||14.7||10.7||50000||1,054||14.3||P||9.8||+19|
|Architecture and Building||290||4.0||3.5||60000||257||3.5||P||3.3||+33|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||328||4.5||2.7||70000||351||4.8||P||2.8||-23|
|Management and Commerce||1,194||16.3||18.5||91000||1,032||14.0||P||17.6||+162|
|Society and Culture||1,007||13.8||18.5||92000||936||12.7||P||16.7||+71|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||98||1.3||1.7||94000||91||1.2||P||1.7||+7|
|Mixed Field Programmes||3||0.0||0.1||95000||3||0.0||P||0.0||0|
|Not stated or inadequately described||275||3.8||3.2||96000||281||3.8||P||3.5||-6|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the fields of qualifications of the Public Administration and Safety shows that the three largest fields of qualification were:
- Management and Commerce (1,194 people or 16.3%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (1,073 people or 14.7%)
- Society and Culture (1,007 people or 13.8%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 3,274 people in total or 44.7% of the Public Administration and Safety .
In comparison, Queensland employed 18.5% in Management and Commerce; 10.7% in Engineering and Related Technologies; and 18.5% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the fields of qualifications of the Public Administration and Safety workforce in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Engineering and Related Technologies (14.7% compared to 10.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (4.5% compared to 2.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Society and Culture (13.8% compared to 18.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Management and Commerce (16.3% compared to 18.5%)
The largest changes in fields of qualifications of the Public Administration and Safety workforce in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Management and Commerce (+162 local workers)
- Health (+128 local workers)
- Education (+72 local workers)
- Society and Culture (+71 local workers)