Toowoomba Regional Council area
Local workers - Hours worked - All industries
36.0% of local workers in Toowoomba Regional Council area are employed part-time and 62.3% are employed full-time.
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in RDA Darling Downs and South West Region across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. To provide this detail, Toowoomba Regional Council area in 2011 had to be constructed from a best fit of Work Destination Zones (DZNs). While it may not be an exact match to the LGA or region boundary, it is considered close enough to allow some comparison. Users should treat this time series data with caution, however, and not compare directly with 2011 data from any other source.
|Local workers hours worked|
|Toowoomba Regional Council area - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland %||Number||%||Queensland %||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||7,690||11.1||11.0||7,146||10.7||10.5||+544||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||6,339||9.1||9.4||5,920||8.9||8.9||+419||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||8,436||12.2||12.0||7,410||11.1||10.9||+1,026||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||13,895||20.0||19.3||13,132||19.7||18.3||+763||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,722||9.7||9.4||6,973||10.5||10.6||-251||22007|
|49 hours or more||12,049||17.4||16.4||12,125||18.2||18.5||-76||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in Toowoomba Regional Council area in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a similar proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) as well as a similar proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 36.0% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 62.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.9% and 62.3% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in Toowoomba Regional Council area and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (17.4% compared to 16.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 35 hours - 39 hours (20.0% compared to 19.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (15.2% compared to 17.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 16 hours - 24 hours (9.1% compared to 9.4%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the workforce in Toowoomba Regional Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,026 local workers)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+763 local workers)
- 40 hours (+646 local workers)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+544 local workers)