In the Balonne Shire, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to Queensland.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Balonne Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||345||16.4||25.1||304||13.2||21.5||+41|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||230||11.0||10.9||204||8.8||9.3||+26|
|Certificate I and II Level||27||1.3||1.3||32||1.4||1.5||-5|
|Certificate III & IV Level||416||19.8||23.0||385||16.7||21.6||+31|
|Certificate Level, nfd||41||2.0||2.0||49||2.1||1.7||-8|
|Inadequately described or not stated||78||3.7||2.7||101||4.4||3.8||-23|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the Balonne Shire in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 50.5% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 45.8% had no qualifications, compared with 62.3% and 35.0% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the Balonne Shire and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (45.8% compared to 35.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (16.4% compared to 25.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (19.8% compared to 23.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Inadequately described or not stated (3.7% compared to 2.7%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the Balonne Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-270 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+41 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+31 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+26 local workers)