Toowoomba Regional Council area
Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
In Toowoomba Regional Council area, the workforce has a higher proportion with tertiary qualifications compared to the Wholesale Trade workforce.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. To provide this detail, Toowoomba Regional Council area in 2011 had to be constructed from a best fit of Work Destination Zones (DZNs). While it may not be an exact match to the LGA or region boundary, it is considered close enough to allow some comparison. Users should treat this time series data with caution, however, and not compare directly with 2011 data from any other source.
|Local workers qualifications|
|Toowoomba Regional Council area - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Wholesale Trade %||Number||%||Wholesale Trade %||2011 to 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||15,764||22.7||8.4||12,873||19.3||5.8||+2,891||25001|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||7,202||10.4||7.0||5,983||9.0||5.0||+1,219||25002|
|Certificate I and II Level||1,073||1.5||2.0||1,231||1.8||2.0||-158||25005|
|Certificate III & IV Level||16,896||24.4||30.9||14,428||21.6||25.1||+2,468||25006|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,417||2.0||1.4||1,084||1.6||1.8||+333||25007|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,691||2.4||1.8||2,332||3.5||3.5||-641||25009|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Toowoomba Regional Council area in 2016 compared to the Wholesale Trade workforce within Toowoomba Regional Council area shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 36.7% of the held educational qualifications, and 36.5% had no qualifications, compared with 18.8% and 48.5% respectively for the Wholesale Trade workforce within Toowoomba Regional Council area.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce in Toowoomba Regional Council area and the Wholesale Trade workforce were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degrees (22.7% compared to 8.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (10.4% compared to 7.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualifications (36.5% compared to 48.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Levels (24.4% compared to 30.9%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Toowoomba Regional Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualifications (-3,440 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degrees (+2,891 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Levels (+2,468 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (+1,219 local workers)