RDA Darling Downs and South West Region
Local workers - Occupations - All industries
In the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region, 16.5% of workers were Professionals, compared to 23.1% in Wholesale Trade.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|RDA Darling Downs and South West Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Wholesale Trade||Number||%||Wholesale Trade||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||16,693||14.4||12.4||16,218||14.1||12.2||+475|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||12,107||10.4||0||10,782||9.4||0.2||+1,325|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||14,832||12.8||15.0||15,080||13.1||14.3||-248|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||8,929||7.7||14.3||9,255||8.1||14.7||-326|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,650||1.4||0.5||1,892||1.6||1.3||-242|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (19,209 local workers or 16.5%)
- Managers (17,763 local workers or 15.3%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (16,693 local workers or 14.4%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 53,665 people in total or 46.1% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, the Wholesale Trade workforce in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region employed 7.0% as Professionals; 14.2% as Managers and 12.4% as Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region and Wholesale Trade were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (8.8% compared to 23.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (16.5% compared to 7.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (7.7% compared to 14.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (12.8% compared to 15.0%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,539 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,325 local workers)
- Managers (-662 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+475 local workers)