RDA Darling Downs and South West Region
Local workers - Occupations - All industries
In the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region, 16.5% of workers were Professionals, compared to 19.9% in Queensland.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|RDA Darling Downs and South West Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||16,693||14.4||14.2||16,218||14.1||14.9||+475|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||12,107||10.4||11.4||10,782||9.4||10.0||+1,325|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||14,832||12.8||13.7||15,080||13.1||14.7||-248|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||8,929||7.7||6.9||9,255||8.1||7.3||-326|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,650||1.4||1.6||1,892||1.6||1.8||-242|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (19,209 local workers or 16.5%)
- Managers (17,763 local workers or 15.3%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (16,693 local workers or 14.4%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 53,665 people in total or 46.1% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Queensland employed 19.9% as Professionals; 12.1% as Managers and 14.2% as Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (16.5% compared to 19.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Managers (15.3% compared to 12.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (12.8% compared to 10.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (8.8% compared to 9.7%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,539 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,325 local workers)
- Managers (-662 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+475 local workers)