Local workers - Occupations - All industries
Within Balonne Shire, the workforce has a similar proportion of Managers and Professionals compared to Queensland.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in RDA Darling Downs and South West Region will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in RDA Darling Downs and South West Region;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. To provide this detail, Balonne Shire in 2011 had to be constructed from a best fit of Work Destination Zones (DZNs). While it may not be an exact match to the LGA or region boundary, it is considered close enough to allow some comparison. Users should treat this time series data with caution, however, and not compare directly with 2011 data from any other source.
|Local workers occupations|
|Balonne Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland %||Number||%||Queensland %||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||208||9.8||14.2||231||10.0||14.9||-23||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||197||9.3||11.4||181||7.8||10.0||+16||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||218||10.3||13.7||212||9.2||14.7||+6||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||170||8.0||6.9||269||11.6||7.3||-99||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||31||1.5||1.6||51||2.2||1.8||-20||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the workforce in Balonne Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Managers (542 local workers or 25.6%)
- Labourers (332 local workers or 15.7%)
- Professionals (266 local workers or 12.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 1,140 people in total or 53.8% of the local workers .
In comparison, Queensland employed 12.1% as Managers; 10.6% as Labourers; and 19.9% as Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in Balonne Shire and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Managers (25.6% compared to 12.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (15.7% compared to 10.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (12.5% compared to 19.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (9.8% compared to 14.2%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the in Balonne Shire workforce between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-99 local workers)
- Managers (-81 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-23 local workers)
- Inadequately described or not stated (-20 local workers)