Southern Downs Regional Council area
Local workers - Occupations - All industries
In the Southern Downs Regional Council area, 17.7% of workers were Labourers, compared to 19.9% in Queensland.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the Southern Downs Regional Council area will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the Southern Downs Regional Council area;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Southern Downs Regional Council area - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||1,649||12.4||14.2||1,737||12.4||14.9||-88|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,450||10.9||11.4||1,387||9.9||10.0||+63|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||1,471||11.1||13.7||1,567||11.2||14.7||-96|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,055||7.9||6.9||1,192||8.5||7.3||-137|
|Inadequately described or not stated||220||1.7||1.6||214||1.5||1.8||+6|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the Southern Downs Regional Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Labourers (2,353 local workers or 17.7%)
- Managers (2,204 local workers or 16.6%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (1,649 local workers or 12.4%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 6,206 people in total or 46.6% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Queensland employed 10.6% as Labourers; 12.1% as Managers and 14.2% as Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the Southern Downs Regional Council area and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (12.4% compared to 19.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (17.7% compared to 10.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Managers (16.6% compared to 12.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (11.1% compared to 13.7%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the Southern Downs Regional Council area between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Managers (-194 local workers)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-137 local workers)
- Labourers (-121 local workers)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-96 local workers)