Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing employs more of the Limestone Coast region's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Limestone Coast region residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Limestone Coast region, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Limestone Coast region are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Limestone Coast region - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||5,296||17.7||4.0||5,239||16.4||3.7||+57|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||225||0.8||1.2||234||0.7||1.3||-9|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,861||6.2||6.7||2,015||6.3||5.9||-154|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,219||4.1||4.1||1,202||3.8||3.9||+17|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||197||0.7||1.3||203||0.6||1.4||-6|
|Financial and Insurance Services||410||1.4||2.7||435||1.4||2.8||-25|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||252||0.8||1.3||300||0.9||1.2||-48|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||773||2.6||5.6||703||2.2||5.2||+70|
|Administrative and Support Services||715||2.4||3.6||750||2.4||3.2||-35|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,236||4.1||7.1||1,124||3.5||6.7||+112|
|Education and Training||2,123||7.1||8.6||1,950||6.1||7.5||+173|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||3,252||10.9||14.8||2,927||9.2||12.8||+325|
|Arts and Recreation Services||208||0.7||1.4||156||0.5||1.2||+52|
|Industry not classified||1,016||3.4||3.3||610||1.9||1.8||+406|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the Limestone Coast region in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (5,296 people or 17.7%)
- Manufacturing (3,444 people or 11.5%)
- Retail Trade (3,433 people or 11.5%)
In combination these three industries employed 12,173 people in total or 40.7% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, South Australia employed 4.0% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; 8.0% in Manufacturing and 10.7% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the Limestone Coast region and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (17.7% compared to 4.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (10.9% compared to 14.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (11.5% compared to 8.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (2.6% compared to 5.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Limestone Coast region were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-773 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+406 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+325 resident workforce)
- Retail Trade (-200 resident workforce)