Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in the Coorong District Council area.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of the Coorong District Council area's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|Coorong District Council area||2018/19||2013/14||Change|
|Industry||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2013/14 - 2018/19|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,216||49.2||5.3||1,499||60.2||6.1||-283|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||32||1.3||1.8||7||0.3||1.5||+25|
|Accommodation and Food Services||82||3.3||5.5||77||3.1||5.0||+6|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||130||5.3||5.3||119||4.8||5.4||+11|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||11||0.5||1.4||6||0.2||1.6||+6|
|Financial and Insurance Services||7||0.3||2.5||15||0.6||2.8||-7|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||12||0.5||1.4||12||0.5||1.5||+0|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||24||1.0||6.8||22||0.9||6.2||+2|
|Administrative and Support Services||11||0.5||3.2||10||0.4||2.9||+2|
|Public Administration and Safety||72||2.9||6.8||63||2.5||6.9||+9|
|Education and Training||112||4.5||7.8||117||4.7||7.9||-5|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||121||4.9||13.3||113||4.5||12.1||+9|
|Arts and Recreation Services||3||0.1||1.4||21||0.8||1.3||-18|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2019. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id informed decisions. NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures. Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in the Coorong District Council area in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (1,216 people or 49.2%)
- Construction (334 people or 13.5%)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (130 people or 5.3%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 1,680 people in total or 67.9% of the local workers.
In comparison, South Australia employed 5.3% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; 9.8% in Construction and 5.3% in Transport, Postal and Warehousing.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of the Coorong District Council area and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (49.2% compared to 5.3%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (4.9% compared to 13.3%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Manufacturing (3.1% compared to 9.6%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (1.0% compared to 6.8%)
The number of full-time equivalent local workers in the Coorong District Council area increased by decreased by -18 between 2013/14 and 2018/19.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2013/14 and 2018/19 in the Coorong District Council area were for those employed in:
- Construction (+241 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services (+25 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Manufacturing (+13 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (+11 full-time equivalent local workers)