In the Renmark Paringa Council area, Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing is the largest employer, generating 964 FTE jobs in 2018/19.
Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in the Renmark Paringa Council area.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of the Renmark Paringa Council area's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|Renmark Paringa Council area||2018/19||2013/14||Change|
|Industry||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2013/14 - 2018/19|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||964||24.2||5.3||1,060||29.7||6.1||-96|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||47||1.2||1.8||31||0.9||1.5||+16|
|Accommodation and Food Services||288||7.2||5.5||225||6.3||5.0||+64|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||442||11.1||5.3||240||6.7||5.4||+202|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||34||0.8||1.4||38||1.1||1.6||-4|
|Financial and Insurance Services||39||1.0||2.5||35||1.0||2.8||+5|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||47||1.2||1.4||34||0.9||1.5||+14|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||72||1.8||6.8||46||1.3||6.2||+26|
|Administrative and Support Services||244||6.1||3.2||200||5.6||2.9||+44|
|Public Administration and Safety||73||1.8||6.8||64||1.8||6.9||+9|
|Education and Training||213||5.4||7.8||201||5.6||7.9||+12|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||249||6.2||13.3||218||6.1||12.1||+30|
|Arts and Recreation Services||24||0.6||1.4||19||0.5||1.3||+4|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2019. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id the population experts. NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures. Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in the Renmark Paringa Council area in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (964 people or 24.2%)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (442 people or 11.1%)
- Manufacturing (373 people or 9.4%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 1,779 people in total or 44.7% of the local workers.
In comparison, South Australia employed 5.3% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; 5.3% in Transport, Postal and Warehousing and 9.6% in Manufacturing.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of the Renmark Paringa Council area and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (24.2% compared to 5.3%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (6.2% compared to 13.3%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (11.1% compared to 5.3%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Public Administration and Safety (1.8% compared to 6.8%)
The number of full-time equivalent local workers in the Renmark Paringa Council area increased by increased by 411 between 2013/14 and 2018/19.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2013/14 and 2018/19 in the Renmark Paringa Council area were for those employed in:
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (+202 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Accommodation and Food Services (+64 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Construction (+51 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Administrative and Support Services (+44 full-time equivalent local workers)