Rural City of Murray Bridge
Resident workers - Industry
Retail Trade employs more of Rural City of Murray Bridge’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Rural City of Murray Bridge residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Rural City of Murray Bridge, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Rural City of Murray Bridge are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Rural City of Murray Bridge||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Regional SA%||Number||%||Regional SA%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||734||8.7||14.6||668||8.3||14.3||+66||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||87||1.0||1.1||101||1.3||1.2||-14||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||479||5.7||6.7||434||5.4||6.8||+45||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||374||4.4||4.1||384||4.8||4.3||-10||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||79||0.9||0.6||104||1.3||0.7||-25||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||102||1.2||1.3||126||1.6||1.4||-24||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||87||1.0||1.0||85||1.1||1.0||+2||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||177||2.1||2.6||173||2.2||2.4||+4||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||292||3.5||3.3||243||3.0||3.1||+49||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||469||5.5||5.0||465||5.8||4.8||+4||39000||P|
|Education and Training||484||5.7||7.6||411||5.1||7.0||+73||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||992||11.7||12.1||946||11.8||11.5||+46||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||102||1.2||0.8||78||1.0||0.8||+24||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||295||3.5||3.4||195||2.4||2.0||+100||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Rural City of Murray Bridge in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Retail Trade (1,088 people or 12.9%)
- Manufacturing (1,025 people or 12.1%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (992 people or 11.7%)
In combination these three industries employed 3,105 people in total or 36.7% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Regional SA employed 10.4% in Retail Trade; 9.4% in Manufacturing; and 12.1% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Rural City of Murray Bridge and Regional SA were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Wholesale Trade (6.4% compared to 2.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (12.1% compared to 9.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Retail Trade (12.9% compared to 10.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (8.7% compared to 14.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Rural City of Murray Bridge were for those employed in:
- Wholesale Trade (+240 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-215 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+100 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+73 resident workforce)