Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Coorong District Council area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Coorong District Council area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Coorong District Council area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Coorong District Council area - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||910||39.7||4.0||929||36.0||3.7||-19|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||4||0.2||1.2||9||0.3||1.3||-5|
|Accommodation and Food Services||120||5.2||6.7||127||4.9||5.9||-7|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||121||5.3||4.1||129||5.0||3.9||-8|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||12||0.5||1.3||6||0.2||1.4||+6|
|Financial and Insurance Services||15||0.7||2.7||33||1.3||2.8||-18|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||13||0.6||1.3||7||0.3||1.2||+6|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||31||1.4||5.6||40||1.6||5.2||-9|
|Administrative and Support Services||32||1.4||3.6||31||1.2||3.2||+1|
|Public Administration and Safety||87||3.8||7.1||94||3.6||6.7||-7|
|Education and Training||139||6.1||8.6||141||5.5||7.5||-2|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||218||9.5||14.8||229||8.9||12.8||-11|
|Arts and Recreation Services||17||0.7||1.4||17||0.7||1.2||--|
|Industry not classified||66||2.9||3.3||50||1.9||1.8||+16|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the Coorong District Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (910 people or 39.7%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (218 people or 9.5%)
- Retail Trade (193 people or 8.4%)
In combination these three industries employed 1,321 people in total or 57.6% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, South Australia employed 4.0% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; 14.8% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 10.7% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the Coorong District Council area and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (39.7% compared to 4.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (9.5% compared to 14.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (3.3% compared to 8.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (1.4% compared to 5.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Coorong District Council area were for those employed in:
- Retail Trade (-38 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-28 resident workforce)
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (-19 resident workforce)
- Financial and Insurance Services (-18 resident workforce)