Berri Barmera Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the Berri Barmera Council area's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Berri Barmera Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||568||13.2||13.4||595||13.8||14.1||-27|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||515||11.9||12.0||499||11.5||10.5||+16|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||454||10.5||13.3||492||11.4||14.4||-38|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||329||7.6||6.1||272||6.3||6.4||+57|
|Inadequately described or not stated||55||1.3||1.5||68||1.6||1.6||-13|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the Berri Barmera Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Labourers (788 people or 18.3%)
- Managers (611 people or 14.2%)
- Professionals (602 people or 13.9%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 2,001 people in total or 46.3% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, South Australia employed 11.1% in Labourers; 12.6% in Managers and 20.3% in Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the Berri Barmera Council area and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (18.3% compared to 11.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (13.9% compared to 20.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (10.5% compared to 13.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (14.2% compared to 12.6%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the Berri Barmera Council area decreased by 9 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Berri Barmera Council area were those employed as:
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+57 persons)
- Managers (-39 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-38 persons)
- Sales Workers (+29 persons)