Berri Barmera Council area
Local workers - Method of travel to work - All industries
This data reveals the main modes of transport used by local workers in a particular industry to get to work. Workforce transport data for the Berri Barmera Council area is very useful in transport planning as it informs decision-makers about the effectiveness and availability of public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work (For instance, industries located near railway stations are likely to have higher public transport use than those located away from main public transport routes);
- The number of motor vehicles available from within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with Workers place of residence and resident place of work for a clearer picture of where people come from to work in the Berri Barmera Council area, and Employment locations for the Destination Zones they work in and how they arrive there.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers method of travel to work|
|Berri Barmera Council area - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 - 2016|
|Car, as driver||3,337||73.8||66.2||3,239||71.2||63.9||+98|
|Car, as passenger||153||3.4||4.5||198||4.4||5.3||-45|
|Other - multiple methods||42||0.9||1.4||41||0.9||1.4||+1|
|Worked at home||233||5.2||4.4||265||5.8||4.2||-32|
|Did not go to work||440||9.7||10.7||451||9.9||11.4||-11|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
In 2016, there were 5 people who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in the Berri Barmera Council area, compared with 3,515 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work in the Berri Barmera Council area in 2016 compared to the South Australia workforce within the Berri Barmera Council area shows that 0.1% used public transport, while 77.7% used a private vehicle, compared with 6.9% and 71.8% respectively in South Australia.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the workforce in the Berri Barmera Council area and the South Australia workforce were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who travelled by car, as driver (73.8% compared to 66.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who travelled by bus (0.1% compared to 4.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who travelled by train (0% compared to 1.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who walked only (4.6% compared to 2.7%)
The largest changes in the method of travel to work of the workforce in the Berri Barmera Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Car, as driver (+98 local workers)
- Car, as passenger (-45 local workers)
- Worked at home (-32 local workers)
- Walked only (-30 local workers)