RDA Sunshine Coast Region
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce in the RDA Sunshine Coast Region than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the RDA Sunshine Coast Region's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the RDA Sunshine Coast Region or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the RDA Sunshine Coast Region, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|RDA Sunshine Coast Region||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||2,005||1.3||1.7||1,535||1.1||1.5||+470||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||15,341||10.1||11.6||13,768||10.2||11.6||+1,573||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||10,236||6.8||4.8||8,576||6.3||4.6||+1,660||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||2,793||1.8||1.5||2,484||1.8||1.4||+309||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||18,588||12.3||13.5||14,510||10.7||11.7||+4,078||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||11,874||7.8||7.9||8,755||6.5||6.6||+3,119||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||7,529||5.0||4.0||6,285||4.7||3.7||+1,244||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||138||0.1||0.1||87||0.1||0.1||+51||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||3,550||2.3||2.6||4,115||3.0||3.3||-565||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the RDA Sunshine Coast Region shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (18,588 people or 12.3%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (15,341 people or 10.1%)
- Health (14,004 people or 9.2%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 47,933 people in total or 31.6% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Queensland employed 13.5% in Management and Commerce; 11.6% in Engineering and Related Technologies; and 7.7% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of the RDA Sunshine Coast Region and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Architecture and Building (6.8% compared to 4.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Health (9.2% compared to 7.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (10.1% compared to 11.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce (12.3% compared to 13.5%)
The number of resident workers in the RDA Sunshine Coast Region increased by 16,555 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the RDA Sunshine Coast Region were for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+4,078 people)
- Health (+3,414 people)
- Society and Culture (+3,119 people)
- Education (+1,737 people)