Sunshine Coast Council area
Resident workers - Field of qualification
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the Sunshine Coast Council area's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the Sunshine Coast Council area or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the Sunshine Coast Council area, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
- Excel full
- Word full
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Sunshine Coast Council area - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||1,719||1.3||1.7||1,276||1.1||1.5||+443|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||13,252||10.2||11.6||11,825||10.3||11.6||+1,427|
|Architecture and Building||8,776||6.8||4.8||7,294||6.4||4.6||+1,482|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||2,311||1.8||1.5||2,049||1.8||1.4||+262|
|Management and Commerce||15,912||12.3||13.5||12,276||10.7||11.7||+3,636|
|Society and Culture||10,159||7.8||7.9||7,412||6.5||6.6||+2,747|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||6,223||4.8||4.0||5,160||4.5||3.7||+1,063|
|Mixed Field Programmes||125||0.1||0.1||78||0.1||0.1||+47|
|Not stated or inadequately described||3,019||2.3||2.6||3,492||3.1||3.3||-473|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the Sunshine Coast Council area shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (15,912 people or 12.3%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (13,252 people or 10.2%)
- Health (12,081 people or 9.3%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 41,245 people in total or 31.8% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Queensland employed 13.5% in Management and Commerce; 11.6% in Engineering and Related Technologies and 7.7% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of the Sunshine Coast Council area and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Architecture and Building (6.8% compared to 4.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Health (9.3% compared to 7.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (10.2% compared to 11.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (12.3% compared to 13.5%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the Sunshine Coast Council area increased by 15,287 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in the Sunshine Coast Council area was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+3,636 resident workers)
- Health (+3,136 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+2,747 resident workers)
- Education (+1,532 resident workers)