RDA Sunshine Coast Region
Resident workers - Hours worked
39.6% of the resident workers in the RDA Sunshine Coast Region work 40 or more hours, compared to 43.2% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the RDA Sunshine Coast Region's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the RDA Sunshine Coast Region depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|RDA Sunshine Coast Region||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||20,270||13.4||11.0||17,897||13.2||10.4||+2,373||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||16,675||11.0||9.4||14,501||10.7||8.8||+2,174||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||21,960||14.5||12.0||18,376||13.6||10.8||+3,584||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||24,878||16.4||19.2||21,517||15.9||18.1||+3,361||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||12,572||8.3||9.4||12,032||8.9||10.5||+540||22007|
|49 hours or more||23,865||15.7||16.6||22,260||16.5||18.4||+1,605||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the RDA Sunshine Coast Region's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 42.3% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 56.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.8% and 62.4% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the RDA Sunshine Coast Region and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (14.5% compared to 12.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (13.4% compared to 11.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.4% compared to 19.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.5% compared to 17.2%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the RDA Sunshine Coast Region increased by 8,761 people (11.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the RDA Sunshine Coast Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+3,584 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+3,361 people)
- 40 hours (+3,255 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+2,373 people)