39.6% of the resident workers (All industries) in the RDA Sunshine Coast Region work 40 or more hours, compared to 43.2% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for RDA Sunshine Coast Region's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in RDA Sunshine Coast Region depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|RDA Sunshine Coast Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||20,270||13.4||11.0||17,897||13.2||10.4||+2,373|
|16 hours - 24 hours||16,675||11.0||9.4||14,505||10.7||8.8||+2,170|
|25 hours - 34 hours||21,960||14.5||12.0||18,378||13.6||10.8||+3,582|
|35 hours - 39 hours||24,878||16.4||19.2||21,517||15.9||18.1||+3,361|
|41 hours - 48 hours||12,572||8.3||9.4||12,029||8.9||10.5||+543|
|49 hours or more||23,865||15.7||16.6||22,263||16.5||18.4||+1,602|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the RDA Sunshine Coast Region's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 42.3% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 56.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.8% and 62.4% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the RDA Sunshine Coast Region and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (13.4% compared to 11.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (14.5% compared to 12.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.4% compared to 19.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.5% compared to 17.2%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the RDA Sunshine Coast Region increased by 8757 people (11.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the RDA Sunshine Coast Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+3,582 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+3,361 persons)
- 40 hours (+3,251 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+2,373 persons)