Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Sunshine Coast Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Sunshine Coast Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|RDA Sunshine Coast Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||17,066||13.2||11.0||14,975||13.1||10.4||+2,091|
|16 hours - 24 hours||14,140||10.9||9.4||12,032||10.5||8.8||+2,108|
|25 hours - 34 hours||18,457||14.2||12.0||15,286||13.4||10.8||+3,171|
|35 hours - 39 hours||21,603||16.7||19.2||18,512||16.2||18.1||+3,091|
|41 hours - 48 hours||10,901||8.4||9.4||10,292||9.0||10.5||+609|
|49 hours or more||20,475||15.8||16.6||18,908||16.5||18.4||+1,567|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the Sunshine Coast Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 41.8% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 56.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.8% and 62.4% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the Sunshine Coast Council area and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (13.2% compared to 11.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (14.2% compared to 12.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.7% compared to 19.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.7% compared to 17.2%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Sunshine Coast Council area increased by 8119 people (12.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the Sunshine Coast Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+3,171 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+3,091 persons)
- 40 hours (+2,852 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+2,108 persons)