Sunshine Coast Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
39.9% of the resident workers in Sunshine Coast Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 43.2% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Sunshine Coast Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Sunshine Coast Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Sunshine Coast Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||17,066||13.2||11.0||14,975||13.1||10.4||+2,091||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||14,140||10.9||9.4||12,032||10.5||8.8||+2,108||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||18,457||14.2||12.0||15,286||13.4||10.8||+3,171||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||21,603||16.7||19.2||18,512||16.2||18.1||+3,091||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||10,901||8.4||9.4||10,292||9.0||10.5||+609||22007|
|49 hours or more||20,475||15.8||16.6||18,908||16.5||18.4||+1,567||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Sunshine Coast Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 41.8% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 56.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.8% and 62.4% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Sunshine Coast Council area and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (14.2% compared to 12.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (13.2% compared to 11.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.7% compared to 19.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.7% compared to 17.2%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Sunshine Coast Council area increased by 8,119 people (12.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Sunshine Coast Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+3,171 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+3,091 people)
- 40 hours (+2,852 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+2,108 people)