RDA Sunshine Coast Region
Resident workers - Industry
Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of the RDA Sunshine Coast Region’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the RDA Sunshine Coast Region residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the RDA Sunshine Coast Region, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the RDA Sunshine Coast Region are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|RDA Sunshine Coast Region||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||2,642||1.7||2.8||2,328||1.7||2.7||+314||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||1,401||0.9||1.1||1,337||1.0||1.2||+64||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||13,618||9.0||7.3||12,229||9.1||7.0||+1,389||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||5,111||3.4||5.1||5,011||3.7||5.3||+100||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,618||1.1||1.2||1,658||1.2||1.2||-40||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||4,016||2.6||2.5||3,587||2.7||2.7||+429||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||3,594||2.4||2.0||3,187||2.4||1.8||+407||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||8,612||5.7||6.3||8,031||5.9||6.5||+581||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||5,994||4.0||3.5||4,630||3.4||3.2||+1,364||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||6,290||4.1||6.6||5,964||4.4||6.7||+326||39000||P|
|Education and Training||13,464||8.9||9.0||10,959||8.1||7.9||+2,505||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||22,282||14.7||13.0||18,010||13.3||11.9||+4,272||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||2,809||1.9||1.6||2,079||1.5||1.4||+730||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||6,787||4.5||4.3||3,138||2.3||2.4||+3,649||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in RDA Sunshine Coast Region in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (22,282 people or 14.7%)
- Construction (18,113 people or 11.9%)
- Retail Trade (16,728 people or 11.0%)
In combination these three industries employed 57,123 people in total or 37.7% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Queensland employed 13.0% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.0% in Construction; and 9.9% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the RDA Sunshine Coast Region and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (11.9% compared to 9.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (14.7% compared to 13.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (4.1% compared to 6.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (3.4% compared to 5.1%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the RDA Sunshine Coast Region were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+4,272 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+3,649 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+2,505 resident workforce)
- Construction (+2,488 resident workforce)