Noosa Shire Council area
Resident workers - Industry
Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of Noosa Shire Council area’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Noosa Shire Council area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Noosa Shire Council area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Noosa Shire Council area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Noosa Shire Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Regional QLD%||Number||%||Regional QLD%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||343||1.6||4.7||331||1.6||4.6||+12||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||157||0.7||1.1||153||0.7||1.2||+4||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,689||12.2||8.2||2,574||12.4||7.9||+115||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||713||3.2||4.5||667||3.2||4.8||+46||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||219||1.0||1.0||265||1.3||1.1||-46||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||454||2.1||1.9||444||2.1||2.0||+10||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||668||3.0||2.0||592||2.9||1.9||+76||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,334||6.1||4.6||1,362||6.6||4.7||-28||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||999||4.5||3.5||841||4.1||3.1||+158||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||811||3.7||6.0||809||3.9||6.0||+2||39000||P|
|Education and Training||1,833||8.3||8.8||1,530||7.4||7.7||+303||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||2,876||13.1||12.8||2,543||12.3||11.4||+333||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||405||1.8||1.6||301||1.5||1.5||+104||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||1,057||4.8||4.3||551||2.7||2.5||+506||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Noosa Shire Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (2,876 people or 13.1%)
- Accommodation and Food Services (2,689 people or 12.2%)
- Retail Trade (2,552 people or 11.6%)
In combination these three industries employed 8,117 people in total or 36.9% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Regional QLD employed 12.8% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 8.2% in Accommodation and Food Services; and 10.3% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Noosa Shire Council area and Regional QLD were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (12.2% compared to 8.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (1.6% compared to 4.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (3.7% compared to 6.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Mining (1.3% compared to 3.5%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Noosa Shire Council area were for those employed in:
- Industry not classified (+506 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+333 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-309 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+303 resident workforce)