RDA Sunshine Coast Region
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the RDA Sunshine Coast Region's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
- Excel full
- Word full
|Resident workers occupations|
|RDA Sunshine Coast Region||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||24,386||16.1||14.3||21,756||16.1||14.9||+2,630|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||18,473||12.2||11.3||14,737||10.9||10.0||+3,736|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||19,243||12.7||13.6||18,366||13.6||14.7||+877|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||7,497||4.9||6.9||7,161||5.3||7.3||+336|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,285||1.5||1.6||2,146||1.6||1.8||+139|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the RDA Sunshine Coast Region in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (28,961 people or 19.1%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (24,386 people or 16.1%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (19,243 people or 12.7%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 72,590 people in total or 47.9% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Queensland employed 19.8% in Professionals; 14.3% in Technicians and Trades Workers and 13.6% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the RDA Sunshine Coast Region and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (4.9% compared to 6.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (16.1% compared to 14.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Sales Workers (11.2% compared to 9.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (12.7% compared to 13.6%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the RDA Sunshine Coast Region increased by 16,557 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the RDA Sunshine Coast Region were those employed as:
- Professionals (+4,560 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+3,736 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+2,630 persons)
- Managers (+1,558 persons)