Sunshine Coast Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the Sunshine Coast Council area's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Sunshine Coast Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||20,976||16.2||14.3||18,597||16.3||14.9||+2,379|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||15,680||12.1||11.3||12,316||10.8||10.0||+3,364|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||16,738||12.9||13.6||15,839||13.9||14.7||+899|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||6,546||5.0||6.9||6,166||5.4||7.3||+380|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,944||1.5||1.6||1,786||1.6||1.8||+158|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the Sunshine Coast Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (24,811 people or 19.1%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (20,976 people or 16.2%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (16,738 people or 12.9%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 62,525 people in total or 48.2% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Queensland employed 19.8% in Professionals; 14.3% in Technicians and Trades Workers and 13.6% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the Sunshine Coast Council area and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (16.2% compared to 14.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (5.0% compared to 6.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Sales Workers (11.1% compared to 9.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (12.1% compared to 11.3%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the Sunshine Coast Council area increased by 15,307 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Sunshine Coast Council area were those employed as:
- Professionals (+4,214 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+3,364 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+2,379 persons)
- Managers (+1,394 persons)