Sunshine Coast Council area
Local workers - Hours worked - All industries
43.2% of All industries local workers in the Sunshine Coast Council area are employed part-time and 55.1% are employed full-time.
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in the Sunshine Coast Council area across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|Sunshine Coast Council area - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||15,278||13.8||11.0||13,304||13.9||10.5||+1,974|
|16 hours - 24 hours||12,754||11.5||9.4||10,615||11.1||8.9||+2,139|
|25 hours - 34 hours||16,487||14.9||12.0||13,431||14.0||10.9||+3,056|
|35 hours - 39 hours||19,291||17.4||19.3||16,232||16.9||18.3||+3,059|
|41 hours - 48 hours||9,107||8.2||9.4||8,379||8.7||10.6||+728|
|49 hours or more||15,487||14.0||16.4||14,156||14.8||18.5||+1,331|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in the Sunshine Coast Council area in 2016 compared to Queensland within the Sunshine Coast Council area shows that there was a higher proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 43.2% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 55.1% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.9% and 62.3% respectively for Queensland within the Sunshine Coast Council area.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in the Sunshine Coast Council area and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 1 hour - 15 hours (13.8% compared to 11.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 16 hours - 24 hours (11.5% compared to 9.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 25 hours - 34 hours (14.9% compared to 12.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (14.0% compared to 16.4%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in the Sunshine Coast Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+3,059 local workers)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+3,056 local workers)
- 40 hours (+2,959 local workers)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+2,139 local workers)