Resident workers - Hours worked
39.9% of the resident workers in Whyalla District work 40 or more hours, compared to 37.7% in South Australia.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Whyalla District's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Whyalla District depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||970||11.7||12.8||910||10.0||12.0||+60||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||863||10.4||10.4||831||9.1||9.8||+32||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||953||11.5||13.1||955||10.5||11.7||-2||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,662||20.1||20.6||1,769||19.4||19.8||-107||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||891||10.8||9.2||948||10.4||10.2||-57||22007|
|49 hours or more||1,322||16.0||13.1||1,731||19.0||14.5||-409||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Whyalla District's resident workers in 2016 compared to South Australia shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 38.1% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 60.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 40.1% and 58.3% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Whyalla District and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (16.0% compared to 13.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (10.8% compared to 9.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (13.2% compared to 15.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (11.5% compared to 13.1%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Whyalla District decreased by 752 people (13.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Whyalla District between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-409 people)
- 40 hours (-179 people)
- None (-107 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (-107 people)