City of Whyalla
Resident workers - Industry
Manufacturing employs more of City of Whyalla’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which City of Whyalla residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in City of Whyalla, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in City of Whyalla are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Whyalla||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Regional SA%||Number||%||Regional SA%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||51||0.6||14.6||40||0.4||14.3||+11||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||113||1.4||1.1||76||0.8||1.2||+37||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||601||7.2||6.7||566||6.2||6.8||+35||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||320||3.9||4.1||407||4.4||4.3||-87||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||34||0.4||0.6||71||0.8||0.7||-37||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||82||1.0||1.3||114||1.2||1.4||-32||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||101||1.2||1.0||98||1.1||1.0||+3||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||204||2.5||2.6||242||2.6||2.4||-38||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||304||3.7||3.3||391||4.3||3.1||-87||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||380||4.6||5.0||385||4.2||4.8||-5||39000||P|
|Education and Training||745||9.0||7.6||739||8.1||7.0||+6||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,176||14.2||12.1||1,152||12.6||11.5||+24||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||65||0.8||0.8||45||0.5||0.8||+20||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||248||3.0||3.4||204||2.2||2.0||+44||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in City of Whyalla in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Manufacturing (1,309 people or 15.8%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (1,176 people or 14.2%)
- Retail Trade (839 people or 10.1%)
In combination these three industries employed 3,324 people in total or 40.0% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Regional SA employed 9.4% in Manufacturing; 12.1% in Health Care and Social Assistance; and 10.4% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of City of Whyalla and Regional SA were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Mining (10.1% compared to 2.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (15.8% compared to 9.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (14.2% compared to 12.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.6% compared to 14.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in City of Whyalla were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-716 resident workforce)
- Mining (+225 resident workforce)
- Retail Trade (-177 resident workforce)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (-87 resident workforce)