RDA Whyalla and Eyre Peninsula Region
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (All industries) Managers in the RDA Whyalla and Eyre Peninsula Region than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the RDA Whyalla and Eyre Peninsula Region's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|RDA Whyalla and Eyre Peninsula Region||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||3,615||15.1||13.4||3,983||15.7||14.1||-368|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||2,606||10.9||12.0||2,504||9.9||10.5||+102|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||2,460||10.3||13.3||2,599||10.3||14.4||-139|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||2,283||9.6||6.1||2,494||9.9||6.4||-211|
|Inadequately described or not stated||465||1.9||1.5||501||2.0||1.6||-36|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the RDA Whyalla and Eyre Peninsula Region in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Managers (3,864 people or 16.2%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (3,615 people or 15.1%)
- Professionals (3,271 people or 13.7%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 10,750 people in total or 45.0% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, South Australia employed 12.6% in Managers; 13.4% in Technicians and Trades Workers and 20.3% in Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the RDA Whyalla and Eyre Peninsula Region and South Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (13.7% compared to 20.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (16.2% compared to 12.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (9.6% compared to 6.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (10.3% compared to 13.3%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the RDA Whyalla and Eyre Peninsula Region decreased by 1,444 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the RDA Whyalla and Eyre Peninsula Region were those employed as:
- Managers (-464 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-368 persons)
- Labourers (-219 persons)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-211 persons)