City of Port Lincoln
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers professionals in City of Port Lincoln than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of RDA Whyalla and Eyre Peninsula Region's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Port Lincoln||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||938||15.3||13.4||983||15.3||14.1||-45||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||736||12.0||12.0||694||10.8||10.5||+42||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||721||11.7||13.3||791||12.3||14.4||-70||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||348||5.7||6.1||412||6.4||6.4||-64||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||100||1.6||1.5||111||1.7||1.6||-11||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in City of Port Lincoln in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (964 people or 15.7%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (938 people or 15.3%)
- Labourers (909 people or 14.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 2,811 people in total or 45.8% of the resident workers .
In comparison, South Australia employed 20.3% in Professionals; 13.4% in Technicians and Trades Workers; and 11.1% in Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of City of Port Lincoln and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Labourers (14.8% compared to 11.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Sales Workers (12.0% compared to 9.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (15.3% compared to 13.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (15.7% compared to 20.3%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in City of Port Lincoln decreased by 272 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in City of Port Lincoln were for those employed as:
- Labourers (-114 people)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-70 people)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-64 people)
- Sales Workers (+59 people)