City of Whyalla
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers technicians and trades workers in City of Whyalla than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of RDA Whyalla and Eyre Peninsula Region's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Whyalla||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||1,491||18.0||13.4||1,763||19.2||14.1||-272||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||981||11.8||12.0||913||10.0||10.5||+68||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||812||9.8||13.3||916||10.0||14.4||-104||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,238||14.9||6.1||1,352||14.8||6.4||-114||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||189||2.3||1.5||235||2.6||1.6||-46||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in City of Whyalla in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (1,491 people or 18.0%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (1,238 people or 14.9%)
- Professionals (1,221 people or 14.7%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 3,950 people in total or 47.6% of the resident workers .
In comparison, South Australia employed 13.4% in Technicians and Trades Workers; 6.1% in Machinery Operators And Drivers; and 20.3% in Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of City of Whyalla and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (14.9% compared to 6.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (18.0% compared to 13.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (14.7% compared to 20.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Managers (7.7% compared to 12.6%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in City of Whyalla decreased by 860 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in City of Whyalla were for those employed as:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-272 people)
- Labourers (-139 people)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-114 people)
- Professionals (-109 people)