RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region
About the area
ABS ERP 2018
Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing
North Burnett Regional Council is named after the Burnett River which flows through the area, which was named after James Charles Burnett, who explored the area in 1847.
Location and boundaries
The North Burnett Regional Council area is located in the Wide Bay Burnett Region of south-east Queensland, about 330 kilometres north-west of the Brisbane CBD. The North Burnett Regional Council area is bounded by the Gladstone Regional Council area in the north, the Bundaberg Regional Council area and the Fraser Coast Regional Council area in the east, the Gympie Regional Council area, the South Burnett Regional Council area and the Western Downs Regional Council area in the south, and Banana Shire in the west.
The North Burnett Regional Council area includes the localities of Abercorn, Aranbanga, Ban Ban, Ban Ban Springs, Bancroft, Barlyne, Beeron, Biggenden, Binjour, Blairmore, Bon Accord, Boynewood, Branch Creek, Brovinia, Bukali, Byrnestown, Campbell Creek, Cania, Cannindah, Cattle Creek, Ceratodus, Cheltenham, Coalstoun Lakes, Coominglah, Coominglah Forest, Coonambula, Coringa, Cynthia, Dallarnil, Deep Creek, Degilbo, Derri Derra, Didcot, Dirnbir, Dundarrah, Dykehead, Eidsvold, Eidsvold East, Eidsvold West, Gayndah, Ginoondan, Glenleigh, Glenrae, Golden Fleece, Good Night (part), Gooroolba, Grosvenor, Gurgeena, Harrami, Harriet, Hawkwood, Humphery, Ideraway, Kalpowar (part), Kapaldo, Lakeside, Langley, Malmoe, Mingo, Monal, Monogorilby, Monto, Moonford, Mount Debateable, Mount Lawless, Mount Perry, Mount Steadman, Mulgildie, Mundowran, Mundubbera, Mungungo, Mungy, O'Bil Bil, Old Cooranga, Penwhaupell, Philpott, Pile Gully, Rawbelle, Reids Creek, Riverleigh, Selene, Splinter Creek, Stockhaven, Tellebang, The Limits, Three Moon, Toondahra, Ventnor, Wahoon, Wateranga, Wetheron, Wilson Valley, Woodmillar, Woowoonga, Wuruma Dam, Yarrol and Yenda.
The North Burnett Regional Council area is predominantly rural, with a township at Gayndah, smaller townships at Biggenden, Eidsvold, Monto, Mount Perry and Mundubbera, and numerous smaller villages. Rural land is used largely for agriculture, particularly forestry, cattle grazing, and citrus and crop growing. Mining is an important industry, with a gold mine near Mount Perry and a Siltstone quarry at Eidsvold. Tourism is also an important industry. The North Burnett Regional Council area encompasses a total land area of nearly 20,000 square kilometres.
The North Burnett Regional Council area is served by the Burnett Highway and the Isis Highway.
European settlement dates from 1848, with land used mainly for sheep grazing. Growth took place from the 1880s into the early 1900s, spurred by gold and copper mining and the opening of railway lines. The main industries then became timber production, cattle grazing, agriculture and horticulture. The population was relatively stable between 1947 and 1961 at about 14,000 people. From the 1960s the population gradually declined, falling to 12,000 in 1971 and then to about 10,300 in 2011. The population then increased slightly from 2011.
The original inhabitants of the North Burnett Regional Council area were the Wakka Wakka Aboriginal people.