RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region
Employment by industry (FTE)
In the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region, Health Care and Social Assistance is the largest employer, generating 13,172 FTE jobs in 2017/18.
Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
NOTE: FTE employment is derived from Census data but has been corrected for the known undercount of employment in the Census. Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region||2017/18||2012/13||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2012/13 to 2017/18|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||9,660||10.6||3.1||10,631||11.8||3.7||-971||23000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||1,544||1.7||1.5||2,440||2.7||1.7||-897||23300||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||5,552||6.1||5.8||5,167||5.7||5.5||+385||23700||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||4,453||4.9||6.1||4,134||4.6||6.3||+319||23800||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,063||1.2||1.3||792||0.9||1.4||+270||23900||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||1,314||1.4||2.9||1,398||1.6||2.7||-85||24000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,364||1.5||1.9||1,699||1.9||2.3||-335||24100||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||3,270||3.6||7.5||3,083||3.4||7.1||+187||24200||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,316||2.5||3.1||2,176||2.4||3.0||+140||24300||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||5,303||5.8||7.1||5,184||5.8||7.0||+120||24400||P|
|Education and Training||7,047||7.7||7.6||7,151||8.0||7.2||-105||24500||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||13,172||14.5||12.1||11,629||12.9||10.6||+1,543||24600||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,138||1.3||1.6||1,244||1.4||1.4||-106||24700||P|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) (opens a new window) ©2018. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures.Learn more
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region in 2017/18 shows the three largest industries were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (13,172 full-time equivalent local workers or 14.5%)
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (9,660 full-time equivalent local workers or 10.6%)
- Retail Trade (9,578 full-time equivalent local workers or 10.5%)
In combination these three industries accounted for 32,411 people in total or 35.6% of local workers.
In comparison, Queensland employed 12.1% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 3.1% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; and 8.8% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (10.6% compared to 3.1%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (14.5% compared to 12.1%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (3.6% compared to 7.5%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Construction (8.9% compared to 11.2%)
The number of local workers in the full-time equivalent work in the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region increased by 1,071 between 2012/13 and 2017/18.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2012/13 and 2017/18 in the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,543 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (-971 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services (-897 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Other Services (+478 full-time equivalent local workers)