In the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region, Health Care and Social Assistance is the largest employer, generating 12,833 FTE jobs in 2018/19.
Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region||2018/19||2013/14||Change|
|Industry||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2013/14 - 2018/19|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||8,990||9.8||3.4||8,094||9.0||3.1||+895|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||1,480||1.6||1.5||1,618||1.8||1.6||-138|
|Accommodation and Food Services||4,958||5.4||5.9||4,510||5.0||5.3||+448|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||5,400||5.9||6.0||4,947||5.5||6.0||+454|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,522||1.7||1.4||1,566||1.7||1.5||-45|
|Financial and Insurance Services||1,716||1.9||2.7||1,575||1.7||2.4||+142|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,746||1.9||2.0||1,396||1.6||2.2||+350|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||4,409||4.8||7.1||4,321||4.8||7.5||+87|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,643||2.9||3.2||2,446||2.7||3.1||+198|
|Public Administration and Safety||4,610||5.0||6.7||4,740||5.3||6.9||-130|
|Education and Training||7,829||8.5||8.2||6,944||7.7||7.2||+885|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||12,833||13.9||12.4||11,505||12.8||11.0||+1,328|
|Arts and Recreation Services||884||1.0||1.6||929||1.0||1.4||-44|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2019. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id the population experts. NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures. Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (12,833 people or 13.9%)
- Manufacturing (9,043 people or 9.8%)
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (8,990 people or 9.8%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 30,865 people in total or 33.5% of the local workers.
In comparison, Queensland employed 12.4% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 7.5% in Manufacturing and 3.4% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (9.8% compared to 3.4%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.8% compared to 7.1%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Manufacturing (9.8% compared to 7.5%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Construction (9.3% compared to 11.1%)
The number of full-time equivalent local workers in the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region increased by increased by 2,027 between 2013/14 and 2018/19.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2013/14 and 2018/19 in the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,328 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (+895 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Education and Training (+885 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (+454 full-time equivalent local workers)